One Week

One Week.
One week until orientation in Chicago starts.
One week until I say goodbye to my family.
One week until I say goodbye to my friends.
One week until I say goodbye to my pets.
One week until a new adventure.

Saying goodbye is always hard. Saying goodbye to people you love is hard. But I know this isn't a final goodbye, because I will be back in a year. I will see my family and friends again. I know I have ways to stay in contact with them, and that when I get back we will pick right back off like I never left.

But saying goodbye to places is different. Saying goodbye to the constants in my life is heartbreaking. Knowing that when I return in a year, things will be changed, I am struggling to say goodbye. I have worked at the same camp for 6 summers. And when I return, I can visit, but it will never be the same. I will never be on summer staff again. I will never be at LOMC in the same way again. It will still be my home, but it will be different. And that is hard to accept.

I have cried a lot over the past week. I cried at my last opening campfire. I cried at my last closing campfire. I cried at my last staff meeting. I cried as we sang one of my favorite songs that I learned my first summer as a camper back in 2005. I cried as it all comes to an end.

But I am also joy filled. Because a new adventure is starting. I am excited to grow in my faith and as a person. I am eager to learn a new language and culture. I am ready to be God's hands and feet.

For those who don't know, I will be serving in Szeged, Hungary. I will be working in the Szegedi Evangelikus Egyhazkozseg, a Lutheran congregation, through their youth group and bible studies. I will also have opportunities to work in Youth Centers and after school programs with youth from the Roma communities.

This year will be challenging as I say goodbye to everything I know. This year will most likely change me. This year will be a change. But I am ready for it. Because I know God has placed me on this path for a reason and that God is with me every step of the way. God will protect and provide. God will help me learn the language, knowing languages are one of my biggest weaknesses. God will help me build connections. God will not let me be alone.

This year is a change, and goodbyes are hard, but I am ready for everything that comes my way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait, I’m Leaving Today?

Send Me

May Worship