It’s All Hungarian To Me

One of my favorite lines from a movie is when Ian’s father says “it’s all Greek to me” in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. This line is iconic as takes an idiom and makes it literal as those around Ian’s father were actually all speaking Greek and he truly did not understand what was happening.
    I like to think I am, occasionally, extremely funny, which has led me to saying “it’s all Hungarian to me” when I do not understand what is being said. I have said this to fellow YAGM as well as to members of my communities when I have been asked if I understand what is being said. I say it with a smile, but usually receive a strange look as if to say, “yes, it is all Hungarian, that it the language they are speaking.”
    Despite being here eight months (crazy!), I still struggle with the language. If I can pick up on context clues of a conversation, I may be able to piece together what is being said around me, but often times I just nod and smile. When I ask a question and receive any response besides a yes or no, I panic because I have no idea what is being said. When someone who speaks no English speaks with me, I get frustrated with myself because I can not interact the way I wish I could.
    But then I remember, I have only been here eight months, I have to take joy in the times I do understand the language rather than get frustrated when I do not. When I can go to the store and ask where to find an item and understand the response. When I order food at a restaurant. When I can send and receive facebook messages in Hungarian (thank you google translate for the help). When I can say the Lord’s Prayer (almost from memory and about 75% correct pronunciation, still working on it). When I am asked a simple question and can respond in Hungarian without thinking. When Hungarian slips out as a response even when someone is speaking to me in English. When I can watch a movie with Hungarian subtitles and understand some of the words and phrases.
    The other day, I asked a friend how to say “Happy Easter,” hoping it would be something easy like “boldog Easter.” It was not. It is “Kellemes Húsvéti Ünnepeket.” After attempting, and failing, to repeat the phrase multiple times, I joked “Maybe I can just say boldog Easter and people will understand.” My friend agreed with a smile that it was a good plan. However, I knew deep down that learning the phrase was important to me so that I may properly greet the congregation who has so lovingly accepted me in their language. After seeing it spelled out, and practicing at home, I feel confident that I can share this sentiment with those around me without feeling lost on Easter Day.
    Finding amusement and being able to joke at my lack of understanding is one way I deal with the language barrier here. Because at the end of the day, I always get the information I need and am able to communicate my love and appreciation to those around me in a way they can understand. “It’s all Hungarian to me,” and that’s okay, because love doesn’t need a common language.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait, I’m Leaving Today?

Send Me

May Worship