Just Say Yes

    One philosophy I have adopted for this year has been “Just say yes.” Anytime I am asked to go somewhere or participate in an event, unless I have a scheduling conflict, I say yes. Even if it sounds like something I may not enjoy, I give it a try, because my time here is short, and I may never get some of these same opportunities again.
    This has led me into some situations that turned out to be wonderful, joy-filled times. By saying yes, I have had chances to see live music, explore festivals, experience holidays at a traditional Hungarian household, dance with children, play music in a live show, participate in an English club, and so much more. Every time I have said yes to an opportunity, it has turned out wonderful.
    One specific “yes” I enjoyed was when an older couple from my congregation invited me over for a meal. I was hesitant because I had never spoken with them before, they told me their English is not good, and going to a meal at a Hungarian house is usually a whole day event. But I said yes, because this kind couple was offering to open their home and their hearts to me.
    We agreed I would go to their house on a Wednesday evening. When they asked if I wanted to come for lunch or dinner, I said I would prefer dinner. Honestly, I knew I would most likely be there all day anyways, and since I was unsure as to how it would go, I thought going later in the evening was a good idea.
    The morning came and I realized I had forgotten to tell them one important detail: I am a vegetarian. I spent the whole day fretting about is, as I had no way to contact them. I knew I would not tell them as we were sitting down to dinner, because it was my mistake and would be rude to reject what they had prepared for me. I had multiple plans set in place for the evening. I had a bag in my purse, ready to slip meat into it while they weren’t looking. I figured I could do this with a napkin in my lap as well if my purse is not near me. But my first plan was to take the smallest piece of meat possible, cut it up tiny, and at the end of the meal mix it together with the remains of the vegetables and salad so it appeared I ate it.
    After the meal, the wife asked me if I didn’t like the meat. I felt horrible and tried to smile and say the whole meal was amazing and I was just too full to finish everything. She smiled back and told me it is ok, she did not like the meat either. After the meal, we got to talking about what types of food we like to eat, and I mentioned I try not to eat meat often. I still was afraid to say I am vegetarian, because this lovely couple might have felt bad that I took the meat anyways. The wife accepted this right away and listed multiple Hungarian dishes she could make without meat, and we have plans to get together and cook.
    Oh, and the whole “our English isn’t good?” They both had wonderful English and we had a great night of amazing conversation. The husband had even spent a semester at the University of Illinois studying agriculture. We talked about faith, politics, history, and agriculture. There wasn’t a moment of awkward silence as we laughed and enjoyed being in each other’s company.
    Sometimes saying yes can be scary. You don’t always know what you are getting yourself into, and you may feel like you forgot to give some important information and asked to get important information. Sometimes there can be awkward and uncomfortable moments. But all of this is worth the risk when the result can be a time of community, accompaniment, and joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wait, I’m Leaving Today?

Send Me

May Worship